Monday, April 18, 2005

Analog

For all the benefits of digital technology, I think I'm still an analog kind of person.

Not that I would boycott hi-tech stuff. I have no intentions of locking myself away in some remote mountain away from "civilization" (or what passes for it nowadays).

But neither would I jump at the opportunity to trade in my paper-based planner for a PDA.

It just doesn't feel the same way...

To be able to write things down with a pen- instead of just typing it.

To be able to scratch an agenda item out with varying degrees of frustration or satisfaction - instead of just tapping the "done" button.

To be able to look a person in the eye - instead of peering into a computer screen.

To be able to touch, crumple, tear to shreds sheets of paper - instead of hitting the "delete" button.

To be able to run your hands through a picture's film negative - instead of just storing bits and bytes on a CD.





Yeah, analog has it's impracticalities. Almost everyone's going on breakneck speed. To go at your own pace may mean professional and social alienation.

perhaps only the truly iconoclastic - or sociopathic - may actually go through with such a choice.

As for yours truly, I may have to settle for waxing nostaligic for the "good ol' days"...

...whilst I sit here in a coffee shop surrounded by folks and their fancy notebooks.

Just so you know, I do have a notebook as well.

Of the paper and board variety, that is...