Thursday, January 15, 2004

Bonfire of the Vanities

It just occurred to me how much time and effort women spend preening, priming and pretty-fying themselves almost the point of systematic torture.

Why do I say this?
Two words:
Hair Wax

It amazes me what some women would go through just so that people can call them normal.

Let's start with the head...
...scalding hot irons, a cornucopia of chemically-laden hair products... and why is it that in TV commercials, women with curly / wavy hair are the losers while the leading model always has long, straight hair...

how about hair...
...like I said before... hot wax. To some women, the act of pouring hot molten wax over your sensitive parts then applying a strip of cloth to literally RIP off the hairs off your body is but ROUTINE. Jeeeez!

... and don't even get me started on make-up...

Don't get me wrong, I like fixing up once in a while... But c'mon, something is off about this. I just heard on the news yesterday (a rare feat, seeing I hardly watch TV, read the paper or listen to the radio) that despite the poor economic situation the country finds itself in, women continue to spend more on beauty products and services. The survey showed that women spend more on these than on baby products and even less for savings.

A pretty interesting set of priorities, don't you think?

I'm all for a little glamour every now and then, but to do this as a habit. Puh-leez...

As for my next wax session, I'd probably leave that to some kinky bedroom stint some time in the future...