Sunday, January 11, 2004

Faded pictures

My mom shared some photos of her when she was a small kid. You probably know what I'm talking about... those snapshots that have faded into that warm tone of sepia.

Call me a hopeless sentimentalist but i love looking through old photographs. The onle thing I love more than that is reading the commentaries handwritten on the margins. By looking at those old photos, I've made some discoveries, namely:

1. Old people used to be small kids. (I always thought they just appeared out of some primevial ooze as is.)
2. People seemed to be prettier and more dashing back in the 50s. Brighter smiles, prettier hair, neater looks... (Is it the film? Or were people then just empirically better looking than people are now?)
3. A little commentary goes a long way. (Just realized my lola was a pretty witty gal! She called my mom a porcupine head...)
4. Pictures really are treasures.

That said, I hope years from now, in the era of 3D holographic projection, kids who'll look at our pictures will think the same way. Although I'd probably hear them though make comments like, "Yuck, lola, you actually had to PRINT your pictures?"